Thursday, August 9, 2007

Bangkok, revisited

Location: Bangkok, Thailand

On Tuesday, we headed out of Phuket early to catch our plane to Bangkok. We got into Bangkok at around 10:30 am, and had a flight out to Chiang Mai at 8:40 pm. Ben decided he wanted to just stick around the airport area for the layover. I however, did not have this choice, as I had lost my cell phone, and believed it to be in the hotel in Bangkok. So I headed to the hotel, and sure enough, I had left it under the bed. After convincing the hotel staff to let me search the room and recovering the phone, I decided to head out and explore some areas that we had missed earlier.

First, a word about Bangkok's transportation systems. Bangkok has two methods of mass transit: a subway system, and an above ground system similar to Chicago's L system. However, these two systems don't have stops in useful places (at least not for tourists) and there is no airport connection, for now. Add to this a ridiculously inefficient way of timing the traffic lights, and it makes for a terrible mess of traffic at all times during the day. I decided to take the above ground system for a few stops:

Upon entering the train, I noticed a sign above one of the seats for preferred seating:

I wonder if we should offer preferred seating for priests, rabbis and ministers on subway systems in the United States.

I ended up taking this train to the Victory Monument, constructed in 1941 to commemorate the Thai victory against the French in the French-Thai War. The whole area was a wide open roundabout:

After this, I walked over to the Chitralada Villa, which is the official residence of the royal family of Thailand. The palace is surrounded by a large fence and a moat, and I could only walk around the outside:

I then walked across the street to the Marble Temple, Wat Benchamabophit (quite a mouthful). This temple was made of Italian marble, and houses many images of Buddah, made of different materials. There is also a stream running through the grounds. The whole area was quite beautiful. I managed to get some pictures before my camera battery died:

After seeing this, I walked around for a long time looking for a place to eat, before giving up, buying some pineapple, and taking a cab back to the airport. I met up with Ben around 6:30 pm, and we headed for our flight to Chiang Mai...

2 comments:

FNL said...

You are so lucky you found your phone!!
Can't wait to see you on Monday.

Jonathan said...

Glad you found your phone.

Got your postcard today. Thanks for all the warm wishes. Only took 16 days to get here too!

Really love the blog. Your descriptions of the places are great, and the pictures and especially the videos are just amazing. I have to agree with Oren about the river ride video - I was waiting for a huge explosion and the rat-tat-tat of machine gun fire as you sped away from the secret enemy base, treasure in hand.

Can't wait to see you when you get back, enjoy the rest of the trip!