Sunday, July 8, 2007

Airports

Location: Madrid, Spain

I've reached my first destination today, after leaving JFK Airport in New York, and connecting in Dublin, to reach Madrid. The first thing that struck me in both airports was how old-fashioned they seemed. There were wooden doors in places, and the airports generally seemed run down, with signs slightly crooked, the ceilings exposed, and whatnot. Also, both airports were insanely crowded, and highly chaotic. I´m glad I picked up my second boarding pass in JFK, so I didn´t have to deal with the lines in Dublin. I really shouldn´t complain; after all, I´m coming from New York, which is serviced by such marvelous specimens of air travel like JFK, LaGuardia, and Newark.

I´m going to be traveling for the next 5 weeks, starting in Madrid, and ultimately ending up in Singapore. I won´t be revealing all the destinations here, because what´s the fun in that? I´m going to be traveling with a friend of mine from undergrad; Ben Weiss. I met up with him today in Madrid.

On the way into Madrid, I struck up a conversation with a girl from Romania, who was actually starting business school at Wharton, and participating in a program with the school in which she takes several short courses in various cities in Spain. She was actually planning to head out to Pamplona to see the Running of the Bulls today; she invited me to join, but I lost a lot of time trying to find Ben at the Madrid airport. Hopefully we can all hang out tomorrow night, before Ben and I leave for the southern coast of Spain.

Ok, so right now I´m in an internet cafe, about to run out of time-that´s why there are no pictures on this post. Hopefully I´ll get a better connection soon.

2 comments:

DK :-) said...

How often do they have 'Running of the Bulls' in Pamplona?!? I find it hard to believe that you would turn down an opportunity like that... and that you cant find a good internet connection. My theory is that you're just trying to cover up and hide those bull riding pictures...

Macaroni said...

You should have seen the lines and security crap they do in London now! It was horrible. They make you go through security in London AGAIN even if you're just connecting there and have already gone through security at another airport. I'm sure many people missed their flights because of that. There were about 200 people in line! The U.K. also doesn't let you take any more than 1 thing on board with you now, so no more backpack and carryon....
~Ellie