Friday, July 6, 2007

Suitcases

Location: Great Neck, NY, U.S.A.

I'm currently sitting in my room at my parent's house, trying to figure out what bags I'm going to pack. There's the humongous 28" pull suitcase, which will probably incur extra fees on the airplanes, and be a pain to carry on the various trains I'll be taking from Madrid, Spain to Marrakesh, Morocco. There's the smaller 21" wheeled duffel that I bought this morning, which instead of fitting into most overhead storage bins, fits neatly in that category of being too big for carry-on and too small for checked baggage. The rest of my floor is littered with smaller briefcases, backpacks and messenger bags. I'm sure whatever I decide to do, I'll make things unnecessarily complicated for myself.


So I haven't really decided what to do with this blog yet. After working for Premio Foods, Inc. for the last 4 years, I've decided to leave to pursue an MBA at Carnegie Mellon's Tepper School of Business. Before I head out to Pittsburgh though, I'm taking 5 weeks off to travel around the world. So while this blog will start out being about the different places I'm going to end up in, I may continue it once I return.


A little about myself. As I said, I just left my job at Premio Foods, Inc. Premio is a NJ based sausage company. I worked for them as an Industrial Engineer. This means I concerned myself with the efficiency of the sausage-making process. Certainly not what I expected to be doing when I left college, but I really enjoyed the job, and leaving to go to business school was a very tough decision to make. Some of my friends told me I was crazy, though I suspect they're just going to miss the jokes they like to make
about my job. Ultimately, I'm still going to be working for Premio part-time while I'm in school, and I may decide to return once I've completed my degree.

I've always liked to travel. I'm a sight-seeing kind of traveler; I'm the guy that will stop to read the plaques next to the buildings, and toss out the random fact that I may know about the location I'm visiting. I'll probably blog a little bit about that (wait, where are you going?). One thing's for sure: there will be plenty of pictures. Here's some I took at Coney Island on Tuesday.


I had never been to Coney Island before, and my grandmother always talks about all the good times she spent there as a girl growing up in Brooklyn. So I decided to go with my brother and sister before I left on this trip. Coney Island was once the largest amusement park destination in the country, until Disneyland was built. There's not much left of its former glory, but its home to the original Nathan's hot dog stand (where they have the 4th of July hot dog eating contest), as well as Keyspan Park, which is where the Minor League Brooklyn Cyclones play. Most importantly, its still a fun place to spend a nice summer's day. I went on the historic Cyclone roller coaster (pictured above) as well. There are rumors that real estate developers are going to tear it down next year, so if you live in the New York area, you should definitely pay a visit to the area before they do. It's easy to get to, just take the N, Q, F or D subway lines downtown to the last stop.

So, I'm leaving from JFK Airport tomorrow, headed for Madrid at 5:40pm. That is, assuming I figure out which suitcases to take...

No comments: